Out and Proud LGBTQA FIU Scholarship
The Out and Proud LGBTQA scholarship has been instituted thanks to the support of our FIU Alumn Lemar White, and the DC Proud Professionals Network. The purpose of the scholarship will be to honor and recognize and support commendable LGBTQA students at FIU. The FIU Out and Proud scholarship is awarded annually to two eligible FIU students.
The selection committee considers multiple factors when assessing scholarship applicants, including academic performance, leadership skills, financial need, personal goals, and the applicant’s involvement in the LGBTQA community at FIU. Attention is also given to students who have lost the social support of their families and/or communities as a result of revealing their sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Each person who applies is evaluated on the criteria listed below as well as the totality of their situation.
- Must be an FIU student
- Must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be actively involved in the FIU LGBTQA community
- Submit a 500-word essay sharing how the scholarship would benefit the recipient with their current and future goals
- Must remain enrolled for a minimum two full academic semesters after being awarded
- Attend the Winter Lavender Graduation Dinner in the Fall semester as well as the Spriong Lavender Graduation and Recognition ceremony held during the Spring semester
- Become part of the LGBTQA mentorship program at FIU and be paired with a full-time Faculty, Staff, or Alumni mentor
- Become actively involved in the Pride Student Union in the Fall and Spring semesters
- Be introduced as the recipient at this years Spring Lavender Graduation and Recognition ceremony
- Be featured in the LGBTQA Newsletter and Social Media sites as the Out and Proud Scholarship recipient