Goldwater Scholarship Pre-Application
The Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program was established by Congress in 1986 to honor Senator Barry Goldwater. The Foundation’s purpose is to encourage the growth of well-trained scientists, mathematicians, and engineers. This is done by the annual award of scholarships to college students who intend to pursue research careers in these fields. Students are awarded up to $7500 per year for a maximum of two years to cover tuition, fees, books, and room and board. This is not an FIU based scholarship, but a University nomination is required to compete for this award.
- U.S Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident
- College Sophomores or Juniors studying mathematics, natural sciences or engineering (STEM Majors)
- 3.7 GPA
- Research Experience
- Must have intention to pursue doctoral degree in one of the disciplines
In order to be eligible for consideration each student must:
1. Register at https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/ to verify eligibility
2. Submit an Intent to Apply Statement (100-500 words) why you are eligible and interested in applying to this opportunity
3. Academic Resume: A short dated list (maximum length: two pages) of principal activities, honors, prizes, scholarships, offices held, athletic record and extracurricular interests. Be sure it is academic based and reflects your educational achievements as well as work experience, etc.
To be considered for university endorsement, please complete all required steps. Students who are chosen to move forward will then complete a second application process. If you have any questions, email Annelise Villiers at firstname.lastname@example.org.