George Minutaglio Jr. Carrabba's Italian Grill First Generation Scholarship
The George Minutaglio Jr. Carrabba’s Italian Grill First Generation Scholarship is dedicated to the legacy of George Minutaglio Jr. whose passion for training, leadership and enriching loves of others, lived at the center of everything he did. The scholarship will help cover tuition for deserving and eligible first generation Carrabbamico’s and FIU Hospitality students who are the first in their family to attend college as George was, and seek to better the lives of others through a career in hospitality. The recipient(s) of this award should demonstrate the same unrelenting desire for the highest standards of accountability and doing what is right to reach their maximum potential.
The scholarship will provide two scholarships for qualifying students at the Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management. One of the two scholarships will give preference to a first-generation Carrabba’s or Bloomin’ Brands employee.
- Must be the first generation in their family to attain a college degree (Note: Students whose siblings have attained or are pursuing a degree are eligible). To be considered first generation, parents or legal guardians must not have earned baccalaureate degrees and you should be self-reported as a First Generation student on the FAFSA.
- Must be a degree-seeking undergraduate student at the Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester
- Must demonstrate financial need by completing FAFSA and be eligible for a Pell Grant
- Scholarship is open to both Florida and non-Florida residents. For scholarships to be eligible under the Florida First Generation Matching Grant Program, applicant must be a Florida resident and a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- For at least one of the annual scholarships, preference will be given to a Carrabbamico or Bloomin’ Brand employee with valid documentation of employment
In addition, awardees will be called on to attend scholarship recognition/events and/or individual meeting with donor. Prior to disbursing your award, it is imperative that a “thank you” letter, a brief biography and an appropriate head shot be submitted via AcademicWorks.*
To read more about George Minutaglio Jr.’s legacy, please visit: hospitality.fiu.edu/minutagliofirstgen