Make a Difference Washington, D.C. Scholarship
Spring Semester Disbursements (Award for Spring 2021)
The Talent Lab at FIU in DC consist of highly talented and motivated students committed to making an impact in Washington through internship placements in federal agencies, think tanks, Congressional offices, corporations, and other organizations in the nation’s capital. The Make a Difference DC fund exists to assist with placement of students committed to making impact, who otherwise would not be able to participate in a DC internship, especially into roles which support FIU’s preeminent research priorities.
• Full-time interns may receive an award of up to $2,000 based on financial need
• Part-time interns may receive an award of up to $1,000 based on financial need
Priority will be given to students who:
• Have previously participated in an FIU in DC fly-in experience
• Students engaging in any STEM-oriented experience or those supporting FIU’s priority research and federal priorities including:
o Resilient Coastal Infrastructure
o Water Quality, Environment, and Sea Level Rise
o STEM Education and Tech Workforce Development
o Health Inequities and Disparities
o Latin America
o Cyber Security
In order to qualify for any of the above disbursements, candidates:
• Have secured an internship in Washington, D.C. and can provide proof via an offer letter and/or supervisor confirmation
• GPA of 3.0 or higher and in good standing with the university
• Must be able to articulate a clear vision for the impact they want to make with their internship experience in Washington, D.C., and how the internship experience directly supports their career goals
• Agree to be an active member of the FIU in DC community for the semester
Students will write a 500-word essay encompassing:
• How the internship will help career development
• How the internship will benefit students personally
• How the students seek to benefit their community while in Washington, D.C.
• If engaged in an area of FIU research preeminence, how the student seeks to make an impact in this area during the internship and beyond.
Provide the name, title, institution, email, and phone number of two professional or academic references. Letters of recommendation are not required.
Statement of Financial Need
Attached to their essay, students will prepare a Statement of Financial Need which explains how additional support from the Make a Difference DC Fund will help you complete your DC experience. Detail the specific difficulty you are having meeting funding this DC experience. Be sure to include
• FAFSA EFC
• Anticipated budget for housing, transportation, and food while in DC
• Amount of gap between anticipated budget and available funds to make DC experience possible
For more information please contact email@example.com.