Kathleen Watson Memorial Scholarship
Kathleen Watson Memorial Scholarship Fund
The scholarship honors the late Kathleen Watson, a long-time and much-loved Communication Arts professor at FIU.
The scholarship is open to FIU Communication Arts majors who have received a grade of at least a B in COM 3110, hold at least a 3.0 overall GPA, and who demonstrate community involvement.
• Purpose and Criteria: To provide a one-time scholarship to deserving Communication Arts majors each semester (fall and spring) who have received a minimum grade of a B in COM 3110, Business and Professional Communication, have at least a 3.0 overall GPA, and who demonstrate community involvement.
• Award Components: One $500 scholarship will be awarded to a student in fall and one to a student in spring semester. The individuals will be selected by the Chair of the Department of Communication in consultation with the family of Kathleen Watson.
Applicant must submit:
- Application Cover Letter should be addressed to the Chair of Communication Arts (Aileen Izquierdo). The letter should contain a brief explanation of career goals and biographical (background) information.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from an employer, faculty, or individuals with significant knowledge of applicant’s experience and involvement in community service.
- Please upload an essay that describes your career goals, explains why you selected communication arts as your major, describes why business communication is an important course in your academic career, and what you personally have done to make your community a better one. Limit to 300 words.
Applicant will be notified by email within 30 days regarding the status of your application.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact Gabriella Portela at firstname.lastname@example.org