Janine Ella Ackerman Scholarship
This scholarship honors the memory of Janine Ella Ackerman, alumna of the Chaplin School of Hospitality and Tourism Management. Janine received her Master’s degree in 2008 from FIU and was also the President of the Eta Sigma Delta International Hospitality Management Honor Society. She was also selected as a student leader at the Food Network & Cooking Channel South Beach Wine and Food Festival and was a stellar student who was loved by many students, staff and faculty. She was a vibrant, intelligent, determined young woman with an enthusiastic personality. As a professional, she was a hard worker, leader, mentor and role model for others.
This scholarship is open to graduate students of the Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management.
- Must be enrolled or accepted for admission to the University
- Must be a graduate degree-seeking student in the School of Hospitality
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.27 if entering the graduate program OR must have a minimum GPA of 3.33 if currently enrolled in the graduate program
- Must work within the hospitality industry with documentation of a minimum of 30 hours/week
- Must have extracurricular hospitality activity (i.e. South Beach Wine & Food Festival, certifications, volunteer work, etc.)
- Applicants will be required to submit an essay of no less than 1500 words on “Leadership and what it means to do the right thing.” Essays of the finalists will be shared with the Donor. Award will be offered for Spring 2019.
If selected as a recipient for this scholarship, please note the following:
Prior to disbursing your award, it is imperative that a “thank you” letter, a brief biography and an appropriate head shot be submitted via AcademicWorks. An appointment must also be made to meet with the Chaplin School of Hospitality’s Career Development Office. Recipients will have two (2) weeks to complete these requirements or risk losing the scholarship. Acceptance of an award will serve as an agreement to these requirements.