FIU and M-DCPS Mental Health Service Professional Demonstration Fellowship
In partnership with Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-DCPS), Project DIG (Demonstration Innovative Grant) aims to recruit, prepare and train future school social workers from the Master of Social Work (MSW) program and school psychologists in the Ed.S. in School Psychology program to provide support for underserved communities, multilingual learners and those from low-income backgrounds, who may have limited access to such services.
This partnership provides tuition coverage and stipends to highly qualified graduate students in School Psychology and Social Work that demonstrate genuine interest and commitment to working in high-needs schools in M-DCPS.
Only MSW I (Generalist) students are eligible for the fellowship in the spring. Those students who apply for MSW I Project DIG Fellowships must be committed to completing their MSW II/III internships as part of Project DIG as well. Students can apply for the fellowship if they are eligible for the applicable internship by the field application due date. Students completing the MSW I and MSW II/III Fellowships must work in M-DCPS as a school social worker for a minimum of two years post-graduation. Students completing the MSW II/III Fellowship must work in M-DCPS as a school social worker for a minimum of one-year post-graduation. It is expected that fellows join at least one professional association, such as the Miami-Dade County Association of School Social Workers and participate in the mentoring group, additional trainings, and weekly supervision with their field instructor.
- For spring candidates, please apply by August 1st via AcademicWorks
- Verify eligibility for MSW I practicum for spring semester with Kelly Sydnor.
- Please note: Only MSW I students are eligible for the fellowship in the spring.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please reach out to Co-Project Director, Prof. Jennifer Abeloff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work
- Supplemental Questions
- Will you be an MSW student as of the semester to which you are applying for the field internship?
- Which semester and year do you plan to start the internship?
- Which level of practicum will you be in?
- What languages do you speak?
- Please describe what interests you about this fellowship and makes you the best candidate for it. Include your level of interest in school social work and why you are committed to this area of social work. Maximum of 500 words (minimum 250 words).