South Florida Black Journalists Association Scholarship
The South Florida Black Journalists Association (SFBJA) is a chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) serving the diaspora in Broward and Miami-Dade counties. While our region is known worldwide for its fun and sun, the chapter has united a community of journalists who share the goals of media diversity, fairness and professional excellence for more than three decades. Applying for the South Florida Black Journalists Association scholarship puts you at the center of the organization’s mission, which includes educating and supporting its community. The South Florida Black Journalists Association is offering $500 in scholarship money for FIU students of African descent (i.e., African-American, Haitian, Caribbean, etc.) who are pursuing a degree in journalism.
For consideration, the applicant must meet the following minimum requirements:
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident student of African descent
- Must be a full-time (12 credits) degree-seeking student with the SCJ, pursuing a degree in Journalism, Broadcast Media, or Digital Media
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must submit a 2-page typewritten (double-spaced) essay about your career goals, reasons for choosing the profession, and where you would like to work in the future
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member (SCJ faculty preferred)
Questions- contact the Office of Scholarships at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- up to $500
- School of Communication + Journalism
- Supplemental Questions
- All applicants must submit a 2-page essay/personal statement (typed, double-spaced) in which you describe your career goals, reasons for choosing the profession, and where you would like to work in the future. Remember, this is often the best opportunity you have to speak directly to the scholarship review committee! Please check spelling and grammar carefully before submitting your essay. Must be a minimum of 1000 words.
- Please submit scans of all transcripts from institutions in which you have taken courses, including FIU (official or unofficial from school's web page).
- Please submit a copy of current Panther Degree Audit (PDA for FIU students). All documents should be submitted as PDF.
- All applicants must submit a writing sample (school newspaper story, class paper or equivalent).
- Please submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member (SCJ faculty preferred).