The Jorge and Darlene Pérez Excellence Award
Each semester, graduating FIU Honors College students are given the opportunity to apply for the Pérez Excellence Award to advance their education after graduation. A one-time award of $10,000 is given to a student who has excelled academically, to gain more knowledge through postgraduate education experiences in order to make a difference in the South Florida community. Deadline for Fall 2022 graduates.
1. Current resume/CV
2. Essay about the following:
- The purpose of the FIU Honors College is to educate, prepare, and motivate tomorrow’s leaders who generate value. What trials did you encounter and what knowledge did you acquire to generate value?
- How do you plan to use this talent or value to change South Florida?
- How do you envision creating a better city and state?
- How will your FIU education allow you to accomplish your goals and make a difference?
- What do you hope to accomplish with the funds, if you are the recipient of the $10,000 scholarship?
- How will you give back?
3. One-page statement: “Why do I deserve to receive the Jorge and Darlene Pérez Excellence Award?”
4. Letter of Recommendation from an FIU or Honors College Professor conveying leadership, service, integrity, etc.
- Student must be a citizen of the United States, a U.S. lawful permanent resident or an international student on an aid eligible visa.
- Student must be an FIU Honors College student.
- Student will be asked to meet for an informal meet and greet with FIU staff and donors a year after graduation to share how the funds impacted their life after graduation. Meeting can take place via zoom or in person.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to get their essay and application reviewed by an advisor or the professionals at the FIU Writing Center to avoid spelling and grammatical errors and to assure the content of your application is as strong as possible.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (305) 348-0349.