Minority State College Transfer Scholarship
The Minority State College Transfer Scholarship (formerly The Minority Community College Transfer Scholarship) is a competitive award granted to qualified minority students at Florida International University (FIU), who are Florida residents, on the basis of financial need. The unmet need will be determined using the applicant’s FAFSA. Through this program, recipients may receive a total award of $1,600 ($800 per semester) for year-long, full-time study.
To qualify to receive this scholarship, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Accepted as a degree-seeking junior student at Florida International University; and
- Have earned an A.A. or A.S. degree from an accredited State College between January and August 2023; and
- Minimum 3.00 GPA in undergraduate coursework based on transcript evaluation; and
- Begin matriculation at FIU in Fall 2023.
Scholarship Renewal Requirements
Recipients of the Minority State College Transfer Scholarship must reapply annually and are required to:
- Attend the MANDATORY scholarship orientation in September of the award year.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.00.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student (12 credits per semester).
- Notify the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) of any change in name, address, undergraduate program, or school.
- Complete the renewal application provided by the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the end of each academic year.
To be considered for the Minority State College Transfer Scholarship, new applicants should submit the completed application along with the following supporting documents:
- One page, double spaced in 12 font Times New Roman personal statement addressing the following question: Please explain your career goals, your reasons for pursuing an undergraduate degree in your field of study, and how you will contribute to diversity in this field. [Please note: Failure to follow the format and page requirements for the personal statement will result in disqualification.]
- FIU Letter of acceptance (you may have received this letter in an email from email@example.com)
- Current unofficial transcript (Please note: Unofficial transcripts must be uploaded below. Official transcripts must be emailed to DEI only if you are awarded the scholarship.)
- Two letters of recommendation from professors, current supervisors, or advisors.
- Copy of visa (Non-U.S. Citizens).
If you have any questions regarding this program, contact the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at firstname.lastname@example.org or (305) 348-2785. Submit your complete application packet on or before Sunday, July 7th, 2023. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Supplemental Questions
- Please upload a personal statement addressing the following question: Please explain your career goals, your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in your field of study, and how you will contribute to diversity in this field.
- Name of State College you graduated or expect to graduate from.
- Name of degree received or expected to receive, including discipline. (example: A.A.in Business).
- Date received or expected to receive AA Degree (example: Spring 2023 or Summer 2023)
- Selective Service Registration
- Please list any additional funding you will receive for your studies including tuition waivers, grants, fellowships and/or scholarships for the application year. If you have no additional funding, please respond with "NA"
- Please upload a copy of your unofficial transcripts from your community college indicating degree conferred.
- Please upload your FIU Letter of Acceptance
- Please upload a copy of your visa (Non U.S. Citizens).
- Please identify two individuals (professors, supervisors, or advisors) to provide letters of recommendations for you which includes the following information: 1) How long and in what capacity do you know this student? and 2) Based on your knowledge of the applicant, please describe the applicant’s potential as an undergraduate student.
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Show 5 more