Kathleen Watson Memorial Scholarship
Kathleen Watson Memorial Scholarship Fund
The scholarship honors the late Kathleen Watson, a long-time and much-loved Communication Arts professor at FIU.
The scholarship is open to FIU Communication Arts majors who have received a grade of at least a B in COM 3110, hold at least a 3.0 overall GPA, and who demonstrate community involvement.
Students must be a citizen of the United States, a U.S. lawful permanent resident or an international student on an aid eligible visa.
• Purpose and Criteria: To provide a one-time scholarship to deserving Communication Arts majors spring award) who have received a minimum grade of a B in COM 3110, Business and Professional Communication, have at least a 3.0 overall GPA, and who demonstrate community involvement.
• Award Components: The individuals will be selected by the Chair of the Department of Communication in consultation with the family of Kathleen Watson. This award is for Fall 2021.
Applicant must submit:
- Application Cover Letter should be addressed to the Chair of Communication Arts (Aileen Izquierdo). The letter should contain a brief explanation of career goals and biographical (background) information.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from an employer, faculty, or individuals with significant knowledge of applicant’s experience and involvement in community service.
- Please upload an essay that describes your career goals, explains why you selected communication arts as your major, describes why business communication is an important course in your academic career, and what you personally have done to make your community a better one. Limit to 300 words.
Applicant will be notified by email within 30 days regarding the status of your application.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact Gabriella Portela at firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information, please contact the Office of Scholarships at email@example.com.