Social Work - Welker Mitchell Scholarship for MSW Students
This scholarship honors the memory of Dr. Welker Mitchell by providing funding for MSW students who demonstrate financial need as well as a high level of commitment to the field of social work through their academic achievement and community engagement. Dr. Welker was a two-time FIU alumnus, obtaining both his MSW and Ph.D. in Social Welfare from the School of Social Work. He held a number of positions including Director of the Professional Development Center, Assistant Dean in CHUA, Associate Director for Social Work, and after his retirement, he returned to a teaching position in Social Work as Visiting and then Clinical Instructor.
Applicants must be fully admitted into the MSW program for the semester during which the scholarship is awarded. Applicants must have demonstrated financial need as well as high commitment to the field of social work through academic achievement and community engagement. Please note applicants are ineligible to apply for the Dr. Welker Mitchell scholarship if they received a scholarship or fellowship of $5,000 or more from the School of Social Work or the Stempel College.
This application must include:
1. Essay: In no more than 1000 words, describe your commitment to the field of social work and how this award will assist you in furthering this commitment and your professional goals.
2. Letter of support: Include a letter of support from a member of the School’s faculty or a work or internship/volunteer supervisor familiar with your commitment to your social work education. The letter must detail how the individual knows the applicant, for what period of time, and how the applicant demonstrates a commitment to receiving a social work education.
3. Current resume
• Students must submit an appropriate photo to include with application. No selfies, please.
• Brief bio of notable achievements, etc.
• Thank you note to the donor will be appreciated.