Pamela Silva Honors College Scholarship
The Pamela Silva Scholarship has been established in order to provide first-generation, low-income, business or journalism majors with the financial support they need to further their education. Pamela Silva, the award-winning co-anchor of the news-magazine show “Primer Impacto” (First Impact), is a six-time Emmy Award-winning journalist. Her afternoon show is one of the highest-rated programs in the U.S. and in 12 Latin-American countries. The award funding varies and if funding permits that year.
Silva holds a bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism and a master’s degree in business from Florida International University. She is an SJMC Alumna of the Year and was featured in a cover story in the school’s Bayview alumni magazine.
Two Pamela Silva Scholars will be selected each academic year. Each recipient will be awarded $2,000. Recipients must demonstrate financial need, be degree-seeking undergraduate students enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours per semester, and maintain a minimum 3.3 GPA to be eligible.
For consideration, the applicant must meet the following minimum requirements:
• Demonstrate financial need by completing the national Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Must be a citizen of the United States, a U.S. lawful permanent resident;
• Demonstrate “Pell Eligibility” as well as “Unmet Need” in the national Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
• Applicant must be a “First Generation Scholar”, which means neither of their parents/guardians completed a 4 year baccalaureate degree or higher and is recorded as such in the national Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
• A degree seeking undergraduate student majoring in College of Business or SJMC, enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours per semester during the award period;
• Entering or current Honors College student in good standing (minimum 3.3 GPA);
• Submit a 2-page typewritten (double-spaced) essay about your career goals, reasons for choosing the profession, and where you would like to work in the future.
Applications will be reviewed and selection made by the Honors College Scholarship Committee in accordance with specific scholarship requirements.
Questions- contact the Office of Scholarships at firstname.lastname@example.org.