Make a Difference Washington, D.C. Scholarship
The Talent Lab at FIU in DC consist of highly talented and motivated students committed to making an impact in Washington through internship placements in federal agencies, think tanks, Congressional offices, corporations, and other organizations in the nation’s capital. The Make a Difference DC fund exists to assist with placement of students committed to making impact, who otherwise would not be able to participate in a DC internship, especially into roles which support FIU’s preeminent research priorities.
Spring Semester Disbursements(Award for Spring 2020)
To support students who need additional resources to accept a DC internship, the following awards will be disbursed, only in the Spring semester.
• Make a Difference DC Scholarship: $2,000
• Make a Difference DC Mini-Grant: $500
Priority will be given to students who:
• Have previously participated in an FIU in DC fly-in experience
• One scholarship per semester will be awarded to a student who is engaged in or have an internship related to one of FIU’s preeminent and emerging preeminent research areas.
In order to qualify for any of the above disbursements, candidates:
• Have secured an internship in Washington, D.C. and can provide proof via an offer letter and/or supervisor confirmation
• GPA of 3.0 or higher and in good standing with the university
• Must be able to articulate a clear vision for the impact they want to make with their internship experience in Washington, D.C., and how the internship experience directly supports their career goals
• Agree to be an active member of the FIU in DC community for the semester
Priority will be given to candidates not receiving any other forms of financial support toward their DC internship experience.
Students will write a 500-word essay encompassing:
• How the internship will help career development
• How the internship will benefit students personally
• How the students seek to benefit their community while in Washington, D.C.
• If engaged in an area of FIU research preeminence, how the student seeks to make an impact in this area during the internship and beyond.
Statement of Financial Need
Attached to their essay, students will prepare a Statement of Financial Need which explains how additional support from the Make a Difference DC Fund will help you complete your DC experience. Detail the specific difficulty you are having meeting funding this DC experience. Be sure to include
• FAFSA EFC
• Anticipated budget for housing, transportation, and food while in DC
• Amount of gap between anticipated budget and available funds to make DC experience possible
• Other scholarships and support being received toward the DC experience