The Truman Scholarship was designed to honor President Harry S. Truman. The Truman Scholarship Foundation supports students dedicated to a career in public service who currently display excellent leadership and service. Recipients will receive $30,000 towards graduate school. In addition scholars are brought to Washington, D.C. to participate in an internship with the federal government or nationally focused nonprofit organization.* This is not an FIU based scholarship, but a University nomination is required to compete for this award. *
- U.S Citizen
- College Junior
- 3.5 GPA or above
- Must be nominated by the University
- In order to be eligible for consideration each student must submit the following *
Student must be registered on the Truman website. Access has been given to those eligible to complete the application process below. (You do not need to complete the FULL Truman Application on the Truman Website unless you are endorsed by FIU). This internal process is what the committee has access to review.
1. Submit an Academic Resume
2. Where would you like to work? What issues would you like to address when you enter the public sector?
3. Describe 1 specific example of your leadership and a recent satisfying public service activity
4. Describe the graduate education program you intend to purse if you receive the Truman and what do you hope to do and what position do you hope to have upon completing your graduate studies?
5. Problem Statement and Proposed Solution
6. 1-3 Letters of recommendation (as outlined by application guidelines on the Truman website). The letters of recommendation can be sent to our email as well if the references do not want to send these directly to the student. 3-5 Letters of Recommendation are required for the actual Truman Application if endorsed by FIU. They can be scanned and submitted together.
The committee will also review student FIU unofficial Transcripts.
To be considered for university endorsement please submit the necessary documentation. Those who move forward will go through an interview process to determine if they will be endorsed by FIU to compete at the national level.
Students can begin their Truman application by going to http://www.truman.gov/candidates/2020-competition.
If you have any questions, email email@example.com.