The Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program was established by Congress in 1986 to honor Senator Barry Goldwater. The Foundations purpose is to encourage the growth of well-trained scientists, mathematicians, and engineers. This is done by the annual award of scholarships to college students who intend to peruse research careers in these fields. Students may be awarded up to $7500 per year for a maximum of two years to cover tuition, fees, books, and room and board. *This is not an FIU based scholarship, but a University nomination is required to compete for this award. *
- U.S Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident
- College Sophomores or Juniors studying mathematics, natural sciences or engineering
- A minimum 3.0-3.7 GPA or higher
MUST have Research Experience
- Must have intention to pursue doctoral degree in one of the disciplines
- In order to be eligible for consideration each student must submit the following*
1. Register on the Goldwater website (goldwater.scholarsapply.org) for pre-approval, if you have not done so already. Student must be APPROVED to continue the application process below (You do not need to complete the FULL Goldwater Application on the Goldwater Website unless you are endorsed by FIU). This internal process is what the committee has access to review.
2. Submit an Academic Resume
4. What are your career goals and professional aspirations? Indicate in which area(s) mathematics, sciences or engineering you are considering pursuing your research and specify how your current academic program and your over educational plans will assist in achieving these goals (Personal Statement: This statement will be used in publications if you are selected as a scholar or honorable mention)
5. Describe an activity or experience that has been important in helping share or reinforce your desire to pursue a career in research in mathematics, science or engineering
6. List Research Activity with description of your role and Paper/Publications
7. 1-3 Letters of recommendation (as outlined by application guidelines on the Goldwater website). The letters of recommendation can be sent to our email as well if the references do not want to send these directly to the student. 3-5 will be needed for the actual Goldwater application if you move forward with endorsement.
To be considered for university endorsement please submit the necessary documentation. Those who move forward will go through an interview process to determine if they will be endorsed by FIU to compete at the national level.
Students can begin their Goldwater application by going to https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.