Abel Mestre Scholarship
Abel Mestre, a radio and TV pioneer in Cuba, strongly defended the principles of a democratic system and freedom of the press. His family established this scholarship in his memory in 2002.
For consideration, the applicant must meet the following minimum requirements:
- A junior or senior student pursuing the Journalism, Broadcast Media, or Digital Media major in the SCJ during the award period (Fall 2019-Spring 2020)
- Must be enrolled full time (12 credits) during the award period
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident, who was born in Cuba or whose parent or grandparent was born in Cuba (must submit proof)
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Submit a 2-page typewritten (double-spaced) essay about your career goals, reasons for choosing the profession, and where you would like to work in the future.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member (SCJ faculty preferred).
- School of Communication + Journalism
- Supplemental Questions
- All applicants must submit a 2-page essay/personal statement (typed, double-spaced) in which you describe your career goals, reasons for choosing the profession, and where you would like to work in the future. Remember, this is often the best opportunity you have to speak directly to the scholarship review committee! Please check spelling and grammar carefully before submitting your essay. Must be a minimum of 1000 words.
- All applicants must submit a writing sample (school newspaper story, class paper or equivalent).
- Please submit a copy of current Panther Degree Audit (PDA for FIU students). All documents should be submitted as PDF.
- Please request a letter of recommendation. Letter MUST be from a teacher, professor, academic counselor or advisor who can attest to student’s academic potential, leadership qualities, and/or community service.
- Are you a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident who was born in Cuba or whose parent or grandparent was born in Cuba?
- Proof that you are a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident who was born in Cuba or whose parent or grandparent was born in Cuba.
- Show 1 more