Janine Ella Ackerman Scholarship
This scholarship honors the memory of Janine Ella Ackerman, alumna of the Chaplin School of Hospitality and Tourism Management. Janine received her Master’s degree in 2008 from FIU and was also the President of the Eta Sigma Delta International Hospitality Management Honor Society. She was also selected as a student leader at the Food Network & Cooking Channel South Beach Wine and Food Festival and was a stellar student who was loved by many students, staff and faculty. She was a vibrant, intelligent, determined young woman with an enthusiastic personality. As a professional, she was a hard worker, leader, mentor and role model for others.
This scholarship is open to graduate students of the Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management. Fall 2019 awardee and Spring 2020 Awardee.
- Must be enrolled or accepted for admission to the University
- Must be a graduate degree-seeking student in the School of Hospitality
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.27 if entering the graduate program OR must have a minimum GPA of 3.33 if currently enrolled in the graduate program
- Must work within the hospitality industry with documentation of a minimum of 30 hours/week
- Must have extracurricular hospitality activity (i.e. South Beach Wine & Food Festival, certifications, volunteer work, etc.)
- Applicants will be required to submit an essay of no less than 1500 words on “Leadership and what it means to do the right thing.” Essays of the finalists will be shared with the Donor.
Student must visit the Writing Center to have them review your essay. Submit letter/confirmation from the Writing Center that you met with them.
If selected as a recipient for this scholarship, please note the following:
Prior to disbursing your award, it is imperative that a “thank you” letter, a brief biography and an appropriate head shot be submitted via AcademicWorks.*