Stempel College Student Path Science Prize
The Path Science Prize recognizes a current doctoral student or doctoral graduate of FIU Stempel College who has had a paper accepted for publication or published in the previous six months. The doctoral graduate need not be enrolled to receive the prize, but must be no more than one semester or six months post-graduation. For the student or doctoral graduate to be considered for the award, s/he must be the paper’s first author. This is a one-time award. Previous Path Science awardees are not eligible to reapply for the award.
A prize of $1,000 will be awarded in each of the fall, spring and summer terms. The prize will be awarded during the Stempel College Graduation Reception.
• Must be a doctoral student or recent doctoral graduate (graduated in the last six months) of any of the three doctoral programs at Stempel College (Dietetics & Nutrition, Public Health, Social Work).
• Must be the first author on the research paper.
• This is a one-time award. Previous Path Science award recipients are not eligible to reapply for the award.
The application must include a copy of the manuscript; if published, a copy of the printed manuscript; if not published, a copy of the manuscript as submitted. If the manuscript is not yet published, a letter from the journal editor accepting the paper for publication.
A letter of acceptance or acknowledgement of the submission of the manuscript from the journal is desirable.
The application must include a letter from the applicant explaining the paper, clearly describing the applicant’s role in developing the research and writing the manuscript, and addressing its contribution to the discipline.
Faculty Letter of Support
A letter from a member of College’s faculty who is very familiar with your work. The faculty member’s letter must provide an evaluation of the quality of the research included in the manuscript, the applicant’s contribution to in developing the research and writing the manuscript, and an evaluation of the journal in which the paper was or will be published.
The College Scholarship Committee will evaluate applications based on the quality of the paper, quality of the journal in which the paper was published or accepted for publication, and the faculty member’s letter.
• Students must submit an appropriate photo to include with application. No selfies, please.
• Student must provide name of faculty advisor/mentor.
• Brief bio, notable achievements, etc.
• Thank you note to the donor.