Dr. David A. Kopenhaver Scholarship (Communication)
This endowment scholarship fund was established in 2009 by Dr. Lillian Lodge Kopenhaver, Dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, as a memorial to her husband, Dr. David A. Kopenhaver, an accomplished university professor, psychologist, television host, producer, and author. Awarded in Fall 2023.
Dr. David A. Kopenhaver loved education and graduated from the University of Miami, where he was the president of both the freshman class and student body government. He was an involved student and his educational credentials included New York University, Harvard University, and Rutgers University. He was also a writer, the author of the Lilliland Stories—-more than 700 short morality tales set in a fictional European kingdom named for his wife.
*Majors in the Department of Communication (Communication Arts, Public Relations, Advertising, Applied Communications) *
For consideration, the applicant must meet the following minimum requirements:
- An undergraduate student pursuing any major in the SCJ during the award period
- Must be enrolled full-time (12 credits) during the award period
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Must submit proof of involvement/service within the SCJ or FIU community (student clubs, associations, etc.)
- Submit a 2-page typewritten (double-spaced) essay about your career goals, reasons for choosing the profession, and where you would like to work in the future
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member (SCJ faculty preferred)
Be a citizen of the United States, a U.S. lawful permanent resident or an international student on an aid eligible visa.
Questions- contact the Office of Scholarships at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Communication Arts, School of Communication + Journalism
- Supplemental Questions
- Provide proof of involvement/service within the SJMC community (e.g., student clubs, associations, etc.) Copy of certificates, memeber cards, etc.
- All applicants must submit a 2-page essay/personal statement (typed, double-spaced) in which you describe your career goals, reasons for choosing the profession, and where you would like to work in the future. Remember, this is often the best opportunity you have to speak directly to the scholarship review committee! Please check spelling and grammar carefully before submitting your essay. Must be a minimum of 1000 words.
- Please submit a copy of current Panther Degree Audit (PDA for FIU students). All documents should be submitted as PDF.
- Please submit scans of all transcripts from institutions in which you have taken courses, including FIU (official or unofficial from school's web page).
- All applicants must submit a writing sample (school newspaper story, class paper or equivalent).
- Please request a letter of recommendation. Letter MUST be from a teacher, professor, academic counselor or adviser who can attest to student’s academic potential, leadership qualities, and/or community service. SCJ faculty preferred.
- Show 1 more