The Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM) Scholarship Program is pleased to offer the VITAS Scholarship Award. VITAS Healthcare, a pioneer and leader in the hospice movement since 1978, is the nation’s largest provider of end-of-life care. The name VITAS is derived from the Latin word for “lives” and symbolizes the VITAS mission: to preserve the quality of life for those who have a limited time to live. VITAS is headquartered in Miami under the leadership of Mr. Nicholas Westfall, VITAS CEO. The purpose of their generous scholarship award is to assist a fourth year HWCOM medical student that has successfully matched into a primary care residency program with the medical school debt they have incurred.
- Applicants must be third-year medical students.
- Applicants must be in good academic and professional standing.
- Applicants must have successfully completed the BMS 6064 End of Life Care course.
- Demonstrated financial need is a required component to be a recipient of this award. Current FAFSA must be on file.
- The recipient of the scholarship will be assigned a VITAS Physician mentor. The recipient will be required to meet with their mentor twice in the academic year the scholarship is awarded.
- Supplemental Questions
- Describe any special circumstances or obligations you have that might demonstrate financial need and how you have accomplished academic achievements despite challenges faced
- Describe an experience in which you worked with a cohesive interdisciplinary team. Reflect candidly on your perceived strengths and weaknesses. What aspects of working in a team did you excel in and what areas were more challenging to overcome?
- Please upload a BMS 6064 End of Life Care “Course Summary Essay.”