Toti Mendez 23 Memorial Scholarship
The Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM) Scholarship Program is pleased to offer the Toti Mendez #23 Memorial Scholarship Award. Ramiro “Toti” Mendez was an FIU student and sophomore pitcher with the FIU Panthers baseball team when he died suddenly in April of 2000 from cardiomyopathy. This scholarship, in conjunction with a larger donation made to the Albert and Debbie Tano Simulation Center to have two rooms named after Toti, is a gift from his mother, Maruchi Suquet Mendez, to HWCOM in his honor. The purpose of this generous scholarship award is to assist a HWCOM medical student that has demonstrated financial need and a strong interest in pursuing a specialty in cardiology.
- Applicants must be third or fourth year medical students.
- Applicants must be in good academic and professional standing.
- Demonstrated financial need is a required component to be a recipient of this award. Current FAFSA must be on file.
- Supplemental Questions
- Describe your demonstrated interest/experience in cardiology, cardiomyopathy, and/or the art of auscultation.
- Describe why you chose to become a doctor and your medical career aspirations in cardiology as you continue into your residency training.