Dolores "Lynn” Parry Memorial Scholarship
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Scholarship Program is pleased to offer the Dolores "Lynn” Parry Memorial Scholarship award. Dolores "Lynn” Parry was the mother of Dr. Michele Benjamin, an HWCOM class of 2020 graduate. Dr. Benjamin benefitted from the financial support of several scholarships. Not having to worry about debt allowed Dr. Benjamin to concentrate on the rigors of medical school and the unexpected challenges life had in store. In her first year at FIU, her mother was diagnosed with, and later passed from, cancer. Dr. Benjamin would split her time between her studies and caring for her mother, who had raised her and two siblings as a single parent. Dr. Benjamin was an exemplary student at FIU. Her academic achievements and extracurricular involvement earned her multiple awards and accolades. Grateful for the support she received during her studies, Dr. Benjamin dreamed of finding a way to help students facing financial or personal hardship. And so, the beneficiary has become a benefactor and endowed this scholarship fund to honor her mother while providing the same assistance to future medical students that she was fortunate enough to receive. This $500 scholarship award will come with a matching $500 contribution from HWCOM for a total award amount of $1,000.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled medical students.
- Applicants must be in good academic and professional standing.
- Demonstrated financial need is a required component to be a recipient of this award. Current FAFSA must be on file.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have overcome substantial educational or economic obstacles.
- Supplemental Questions
- Describe any special circumstances where you have had to overcome substantial educational or economic obstacles.
- Describe what makes you the best candidate for this award.