Carmel J. Barrau, MD. Scholarship
The Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM) Scholarship Program is pleased to offer the Carmel J. Barrau, MD Scholarship. Dr. Carmel Barrau is Board Certified in Internal Medicine and the President of Unihealth of South FL Inc. He is also among the Founders of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. Dr. Barrau was the 1st Haitian American appointed to the Florida Board of Medicine, the highest medical entity governing the practice of medicine in the State of Florida and President of the Association of Haitian Physicians Abroad Florida Chapter. Most recently, Dr. Barrau was appointed chairmain of the Deans’s Advisory Council for the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. The purpose of this scholarship award is to support historically underrepresented in medicine medical students with their cost of attendance while attending HWCOM.
- Applicants must be second, third, or fourth year historically underrepresented in medicine medical students.
- Applicants must be in good academic and professional standing.
- Applicants cannot be a current recipient of a full tuition scholarship.
- Demonstrated financial need is a required component to be a recipient of this award. Current FAFSA must be on file.
- Supplemental Questions
- Describe experiences with or commitment to living, working, and/or serving the South Florida community.
- Describe any special circumstances or obligations you have that might demonstrate financial need and how you have accomplished academic achievements despite challenges faced.